Although the consumption of black tea seems to be in the first place both in the world and in our country, green tea is also strengthening its place. Although the first thing to mention about green tea is to lose weight, in fact, green tea has many different benefits on our health. So what are these, do you know? Dietician Şebnem Kandıralı Yıldırım talked about green tea …
What are the nutritional values of green tea?
It does not contain calories. Rich in catechins, these give green tea potential cancer-fighting, antioxidant, probiotic and metabolism boosting benefits. Contains trace amounts of potassium and moderate caffeine.
What are the benefits of green tea?
- It reduces the risk of osteoporosis (osteoporosis), cancer, heart disease and tooth decay. Green tea; It contains a rich concentration of flavonoids and polyphenols, which are natural antioxidants. These ingredients protect cells against carcinogens, neutralize free radicals in the body and prevent tumor growth.
- They also protect the body against heart attack and stroke by relaxing the blood vessels and preventing the formation of blood clots.
- Its fluoride content strengthens teeth, and its flavonoid content strengthens bones, reduces osteoporosis and tooth decay.
- Several studies have shown that green tea can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels.
Does green tea weaken?
The antioxidant compounds (EGCG) in green tea promote exercise-induced abdominal fat loss. It is an effective metabolic booster, helps to burn fat, increase calorie burning and reduce fat. EGCG (epigallocatechingallate) accelerates a process called thermogenesis, providing endurance and vitality during the day without feeling tired. The combination of green tea and its caffeine content improves weight loss and maintenance in overweight or moderately obese individuals.
How should green tea be consumed?
It is safe for most individuals when drunk in moderation (3-5 cups). It can be drunk easily in the morning hours without an empty stomach (may affect the stomach balance). If caffeine content disturbs your sleep, it should be drunk at least 2 hours before going to bed. It can be drunk before exercise; Its caffeine content can increase energy and provide more fat burning so you can exercise longer. It can also be drunk 2 hours before or after meals in order not to prevent iron, copper and chromium intake with foods.
What are the benefits of green tea for the skin?
- If you are not hypersensitive to green tea, products containing green tea are suitable for all skin types. The penetration of EGCG in green tea into the skin is limited, if you are going to use green tea for the skin, you should apply the care products containing green tea directly to the skin.
- Protects the skin: With its antioxidant content, it removes free radicals caused by environmental factors such as UV radiation and pollution. It fights DNA damage in skin cells by promoting DNA repair.
- Reduces signs of aging: It reduces the appearance of hyperpigmentation, hardened tissue and fine lines, which are signs of sun damage.
- Reduces excess sebum: Reduces sebum with its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties for individuals with acne and oily skin.
- Soothes and relaxes the skin: It reduces inflammation in skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis and dandruff.
Who should not consume green tea?
Green tea should be restricted or not drunk if you have iron deficiency, are pregnant or breastfeeding, take medications for anxiety disorders or heart conditions, or suffer from kidney or hyperthyroid disease.
Are there any side effects or harms of green tea?
Because green tea contains caffeine, drinking too much can lead to feeling nervous or sleep-related problems. Consuming green tea not as tea but as food supplements containing green tea extract can damage the liver. Green tea should be avoided if you have heart disease or other cardiovascular problems or kidney failure.
How is green tea brewed?
The water used for green tea should not be too hot or too cold. The best water temperature was determined to be 160-180 ° C. Green tea should not be brewed for more than 2-3 minutes, otherwise the tea will turn bitter. 2 grams of green tea leaves is enough for cup of water. Mint leaves, lemon juice and honey can be added for extra flavor and antioxidant capacity.
ARTICLE: Dietician Şebnem Kandıralı Yıldırım
Support your skin care by drinking Kombucha!
Strengthening the immune system: Rosehip Tea
Do you know the benefits of cherry stalk tea?